Oklahoma's National Register of Historic Places

Use your browser's back button to return to the query.

ID Number 85000566
Historic Name FIRST CHRISTIAN CHURCH
Description of Significance DESIGNED BY ARCHITECT WALTER VAHLBERG, THE FIRST CHRISTIAN CHURCH OF LAWTON IS AN EXCELLENT EXAMPLE OF THE GOTHIC REVIVAL STYLE. DOMINATING THE FACADE IS A LARGE ROSE WINDOW, THE CENTERPIECE OF A COLLECTION OF IMPRESSIVE STAINED GLASS WINDOWS. THE BUILDING WAS CONSTRUCTED IN 1928 AND SUFFERED A DEVASTATING FIRE THAT YEAR. IT WAS REBUILT IN 1929. LISTED IN NATIONAL REGISTER 3/12/85.
Current Name FIRST CHRISTIAN CHURCH
Address 701 D. AVENUE
City LAWTON
County COMANCHE
Lot 13-16
Block 37
Current Section N/A
Township N/A
Range N/A
Type BUILDING
Historic Function RELIGION
Current Function RELIGION
Area Signficance 1 ARCHITECTURE
Area Significance 2
Date Prepared 3/83
Year Built 1928/1929
Original Site YES
Architect/Builder WALTER T. VAHLBERG, ARCHITECT
Architectural Style GOTHIC REVIVAL
Roof Material ASPHALT
Wall Material BRICK
Window Material UNCOLLECTED
Door Material UNCOLLECTED
Decorative Details COPPER GUTTERING, MANY STAINED GLASS WINDOWS, GOTHIC ARCHED WINDOWS, FINIALS, PARAPET CAPS,
Condition EXCELLENT
Comments
Restricted N